How to have real joy in any circumstance - Day 1: Thirty Day Meditations to Abundant Life!

God is your Sun. (Ps 84:11)

It was cold, bitter, bitter cold, a far cry from anything I had been used to in the Middle East. I had been in Canada for years now, and yet still the long winter freeze would still affect my moods. Weather is something that affects us all wherever we may be. There are few things that illustrate how reactionary we are than the affects of weather on our temperaments. And so, in the middle of that winter, I decided to refuse it completely. I decided to let my happiness be based on inner realities and truths that are not only invisible from the outside but completely unmoved by the weather. Instead of allowing depression to set in because the sun refused to shine, I decided to enjoy the weather whatever form it took. If it was snowing, I marveled at the diamond like snowflakes. If it was cold, I wondered at the vast expanse of the pale blue sky and the crispiness of the air. If the drizzle and overcast clouds caused my neighbors to be depressed, I chose to enjoy it and beamed. (Of course I'll admit that I didn't practice this all the time,  but it really did make a difference).

Photo by Adam Moralee (text and modifications by D.R.)
But I'm not referring to merely sunny and cloudy, or cold and hot days... I'm referring to the very storms of life and circumstances we find ourselves in. Whether we are enduring fiery and hellish trials, groping in muddy and dark pits, or soaring like eagles in life... we need to find an anchor for our soul, for our inner beings to be constantly refreshed, content and joyful. It is possible and doubly possible.

Paul discovered this secret. He said "I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Phil 4:11-13)

This is really amazing. He was content in every situation, in every place he's ever been, in every financial situation, even when his life was in dire straits, he still was overflowing with joy. As if this wasn't enough, consider that Paul wrote this breakthrough passage while in prison! (I'm not talking about a neat and tidy jailhouse where people have TV's, internet, gym, food and sports... this was an ancient Roman prison!)

God is your Sun (Ps 84:11). That means that He is the source of your light, your joy and all you need. Many people are under the weather, both literally and figuratively, they are bound to react to the circumstances that press them into worry, depression, guilt, regret, bitterness, despair, sadness, and anger. They are held prisoners by their ordeals, incapable of breaking free from the downward pull of the clouds that block out the sunshine from view.

But you can change all that... maybe even, I daresay, in just a couple of seconds. All it takes is a change of perspective. You can't see the sun because you are looking to the sky. Instead, turn to your Father's face, see the sunshine of His love beaming down at you, see His delight in you, His love for you, His constant care and favor. You have eyes in your head, but also in your heart! He is always there and has always been there simply waiting for you. And He is always ready to give you what you need, to tell you what you need to hear... one must only come and listen, come and see. He is your Sun. No matter the darkness around you, remember that today and refuse to let the outside things you experience dictate your inner comportment this day. You can choose... so choose well!

This is the first of 30 posts to come about changing your life titled: Thirty Day meditations to living life to the full... stay tuned for more to come!

Related post: Read more about Paul's amazing outlook on life!

David Roiel
The Green Leaf Blog-Discover your inheritance!

Subscribe today to get these posts by email and look for my frequent eBook giveaways!

Just enter your email address below and click the subscribe button. Blessings be upon you! 







Oh and one more thing: My privacy guarantee - I'll never give away your email.













Comments